Ads by google

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Oma podi/Bhujia/Diwali snack

                   This is very favourite of mine right from my childhood .Its a long story but i want to mention it so that my kid will know it  in future how i loved it .When i was aroud 4-5 years my father worked in nearyby town and i studied there .My grandpa used to get it for me every evening and i love it everyday .I guess he likes it very much and feed his grandchild the same snack he likes .He is no more now  .I love him a lot he is such a kind and loveable grandpa anyone will ever get .He loves me more too.This is my attchement to this recipe .My mothers mother used to do this snack when i was going college .I love it as usual.
                 I got a whole lot of gramflour lying in my pantry .I was thinking of doing it for such a long time ,this is the right time then .This is very easy peasy recipe even beginners can do it without any difficulty .
Rice flour is not for crispiness its to ease the sqeezing process .In tamil ajwain means omam thats why it got the name "oma podi" but without ajwain also it tasted so good .
                 This sev is you can simply munch them as a snack  or add it as a sidedish for your rice ,add them in chat items or mix them in ur mixture preparation .

Intrested in some other snack recipes check
Butter chakli
Ola pakoda
Thenkulazh murukku(with store bought rice flour)



Preparation time:10 min
Cooking time :40 min
Yields:1 - 1 1/2 kg (not sure about the weight measurement )



Ingredients:
  •  3 cups gram flour/Besan flour/Kadala mavu
  • 1 cup rice flour/arisi mavu
  • little hing
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup water

Method:
  • Mix rice flour,gram flour ,hing,salt ,water together with the given amount of water .

  • If you feel hard to press then add little more water .

  • Roll them in to little thick logs.
  • Press it with thin or little thick sev press.

  • After a minute when the bubbles goes down you can flip them .
  • When you cant hear the bubbles take it out and strain it in kitchen towel .

  • Crack them by simply pressing it and store it in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks


Note:

  • Adjust the water consistency and salt after your first round.
  • You can add ajwain if you wish .
  • Don't add much salt otherwise sev will be salty .
  • While adding the salt add less then check after first batch comes out .If its not enough add the salt with little water mixed .
  • You can add boiled potatoes to make alu bhujia.



linking this to Gayathri's WTML event and prachis 




2 comments:

  1. Wow I love ur idea of stacking omapodi on plates. I feel like having some mixture seeing the omapodi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on now we will both have some mixture .

      Delete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...