Ads by google

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Home made Milkmaid

Last week there was a thanksgiving potluck in my daughters school. I thought of a few dishes to make and had decided on masala vada. At the last minute I discovered that I was running low on channa dal and I had forgotten to buy extra. I thought hard as to what to do? That night I spoke to mother in law and she suggested that I make malai jamun with home made kova. I tried to make kova that night. I was tired and I wanted to finish the kova that night and make the jamun next day.Because of tiredness i finished the milk making milkmaid without adding sugar.
Making milkmaid at home is a little hectic with work involved but when u think about ingredients you need only milk .




Preparation time:50 min
Yields:1/2 cup

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups milk
Method:
  • Pour the milk in heavy bottom vessel (may or may not be non stick)
  • Let the milk come to boil.
  • After it comes to boil reduce the heat almost very low.
  • Stir it every 5 min for 40 min.
  • After 40 min when it will start to thicken (it needs to reduce to 1/8 the original quantity)
  • At this point keep stirring it continuously.
  • When it becomes thick switch off the flame .
  • Cool and store it in fridge.
  • You can use it to make coco fudge /kheer/rich gravies. 


                                            I made cocoa and coconut fudge using this milkmaid.

27 comments:

  1. There is lot of fun to have homemade milkmaid even though it takes some time or it is readily available in stores.Looks yumm..worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what we call rabri....tastes awesome, and very common in North Indian households.but it's not milkmaid, though a great attempt. Milkmaid technically has butter, sugar and milk powder. Some people also add water. It's cooked and filtered. The butter gives it the consistency. Hopes this helps :) I hope you didn't mind. Feel free to delete if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for ur inputs dear.Rabri is right ,but milkmaid can also be made with milk .I skipped the butter part to reduce the fat content.

      Delete
  3. Nice idea Sathya. Will try out when there is a need because I only make sweets/desserts when I have gatherings or friends coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely perfect home made condensed milk

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice try and good result..yemmy milk maid and coco fudge...will try some time Sathya...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nalini.Thanks for stopping by and your wonderful comments .Do stay in touch

      Delete
  6. Very interesting that we can prepare our own version, glad you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and informative post ! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Priya Thanks for sharing dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting recipe..homemade is always the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ruxana.Home made is best always .Do visit me often.

      Delete
  10. wow... looks perfect
    thx. for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very delicious homemade milkmaid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks friends for your lovely comments

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting recipe. Thank you for linking it to the WTML event...
    Waiting for more yummy recipes from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious homemade milkmaid, thanks for sharing with Favorite recipes: Christmas recipes event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that was an interesting idea.. of making milkmaid super recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...